2022 Chinese New Year Photo Exhibition
Celebrating Chinese New Year with Kids around the World
Ring out the old with happy laughters, ring in the new with twinkling lights. During the Chinese New Year holiday, people are celebrating the beginning of a new year with various activities in an air of festivity.
Sugar painting and sugar figure blowing in temple fairs, dazzling decorations and red lanterns along the streets……all of these are catching the attention of Chinese kids and remain as indelible memories of their childhood. Now some of the traditional Chinese new year celebrations also gain popularity outside the country. While some are taken with surprise and curiosity, some bring about warmth and happiness.
The Chinese New year not only warms people’s heart in the cold winter, but also enlightens the children’s lives with much fun.
1. As the Chinese New Year approaches, children are having various celebrations for the new year, such as hanging lanterns. The cute faces are radiant with joy.
“Festivity” Shot by Chen Yueming
2. In the temple fair, kids are excitedly waiting to taste the traditional sugar figure.
“Sugar Figure” Shot by He Jun
3. During the Chinese New Year, the village market is permeated with festivity. A little girl in red dress are carefully selecting her favorite new-year decorations.
“New Year Red” Shot by Gao Song
4. In the new-year fair, a grandparent and grandchild are taking a group photo amid the jubilant crowd.
“Grandparent and Grandchild in the New-Year Fair” Shot by Huang Jianjun
5. With Chinese New Year round the corner, people are putting on a myriad of new-year decorations, among which the large red lantern with the character of fu (or happiness) is the most iconic.
“New-Year Decorations” Shot by Yu Yuesheng
6. In Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, a kid is tasting the sugar painting in the temple fair themed with folk culture on Hunan Road.
“Tasting Sugar Painting” Shot by Li Wenbao
7. Temple fairs are a common way for Chinese people to celebrate festivals, especially for the Spring Festival. The numerous red lanterns add to the festivity of the temple fair.
“Red Lanterns” Shot by Tong Weiyuan
8. With the help of the master, the kid derives much fun from blowing sugar figure by himself.
“Sugar Figure Blowing” Shot by Gu Long
9. The festive lanterns in the Great Tang Mall in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, attract a flock of visitors. The kid wearing decorative hats are bewildered by the variety of lanterns.
“Appreciating the Festive Lanterns” Shot by Feng Changrong
10. In the lantern-packed square, the young mother carrying a lantern murmured to her baby about the arrival of a new year.
“New Year in the Eye of Baby” Shot by Zhong Zhiyong
11. In Weishan Lake, Shandong Province, grandfathers and grandchildren who returned from the New Year’s Fair walked past the lake carrying red lanterns. The fiery red reflected in water suggests their inner joy.
“New Year in Weishan Lake” Shot by Han Cuizhi
12. During Chinese New Year, every household will paste Chinese characters on their windows to express their best wishes for the future year.
“Pasting Spring Festival Character” Shot by Du Jiangyun
13. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, outdoor activities are restricted. People prefer to celebrate the festival at home. They paste paper-cuttings on windows, watch videos, and spend the holiday at their cozy home.
“New Year amid COVID-19 Pandemic” Shot by Chen Xin
14. A family celebrates the Spring Festival with fireworks in Yanggu County, Liaocheng City, Shandong Province.
“New Year Fireworks” Shot by Song Yiyong
15. Two children are arranging the red rice balls to prepare for the grand feast with much festivity.
“A Red Rice Ball Feast” Shot by Zhu Shuxia
16. During the Spring Festival, the whole family gather together to make dumplings in a warm and joyous atmosphere.
“Making Dumplings Together” Shot by Chen Gang
17. Two children living in the tulou wrote Spring Festival couplets with brushes to learn about the Hakka couplet culture in a festive atmosphere of the Spring Festival in their hometown.
“Writing Couplets for Tulou” Shot by Chen Jun
18. The Cultural Station of Torch Development Zone, Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province organized calligraphy lovers to write Spring Festival couplets and send blessing characters to the citizens.
“Extending Blessings” Shot by Zeng Xuexian
19. As the Spring Festival approaches, primary school students write their best wishes in Spring Festival couplets.
“Writing Couplets” Shot by Chen Chaomei
20. In Raoping County, Chaozhou City, Guangdong Province, Buma Dance is a unique folk dance to celebrate festivals. The spinning and jumping cloth-horses embody people’s pursuit of a happy life and the hope of success.
“Buma Dance” Shot by Chen Chuan
21. The 3rd cultural festival of “Beautiful China·& Happy Spring Festival 2019 ” was held in Budapest Millennium Park, Hungary. At the event, a Hungarian child drew a cute little pig.
“Tasting the Chinese New Year” Shot by Liu Qinghui
22. During the “Happy Chinese New Year” parade in Lisbon, Portugal, the traditional Chinese custom of “playing drums” was introduced to the Portuguese people.
“Spring Festival Parade” Shot by Liu Xiaolan
23. Children in Courbevois, France, took a group photo with the pulling lion to celebrate the Spring Festival.
“What’s Your Name?” Shot by Yan Zhenquan
Celebrate the Spring Festival with Dragon Dance Performances
The Spring Festival is the grandest traditional fete of the Chinese people, and an important holiday for family reunion and pleasure sharing. Dragon dance, a lively and jubilant traditional custom, is among the most occasional activities during the Spring Festival.
Dragon dance is commonly known as playing dragon lanterns. Dragon dancers jump up with various moves of spring, twist, wave and shake with colorful silk balls and in various forms of golden dragon, fiery dragon, dragon lantern, dragon boat, etc.; flexible moves and splendid colors best highlight the festival atmosphere.
Dragon dance is also an important show event among the Spring Festival activities throughout the world. Dragon parades at home and abroad, in different looks and expression forms, all demonstrate the hilarious festival atmosphere and bring joy to people all around the world.
1. A fiery dragon dance performance is held in Puzhai Town, Fengshun County, Guangdong. When the fiery dragon dancers are dancing led by a colorful silk ball, there are full of dazzling sparks, amplifying the joyous festival.
Fiery Dragon Dance Photo by Li Xiaobin
2. In Gexianshan Village, Pengzhou, Sichuan, the villagers are performing dragon dance to celebrate the Spring Festival.
Dragon Dance Celebrates Spring Festival Photo by Ai Jiaxian
3. A grand dragon dance performance is held on the Lantern Festival on lunar 15th January in Qingyang County, Chizhou, Anhui.
Two Dragons Play with A Pearl Photo by Chu Chengsheng
4. Traditional dragon and lion dances are performed by a Sichuan provincial troupe at the ancient town of Langzhong to celebrate the Spring Festival.
Ancient Town Langzhong Celebrates Spring Festival Photo by Yang Xiuqiong
5. People are performing a unique dragon dance in water in the Pan Village Lantern Festival in Shuikou Town, Kaiping, Guangdong.
Dragon Dance in Water Photo by Huang Jianjun
6. A dragon dance performance with flexible walks and glittering looks brightens up Sanlin OId Street, Pudong, Shanghai.
Feverish Golden Dragon Photo by Guo Guangling
7. During the Spring Festival, people pour into the street to appreciate the bustling atmosphere of dragon dances.
Charming Dragon Dance Photo by Du Chunsen
8. People are striking red hot irons to produce sparks and performing dragon dance to celebrate the Spring Festival at the ancient town of Taierzhuang, Zaozhuang, Shandong.
Fiery Dragon Dance Photo by Lu Tao
9. Binyang Firecracker Dragon Festival is an annual festival event held in Nanning, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, and the photo shows the scene when “firecracker dragons” are giving New Year’s greetings to households.
Firecracker Dragon Dance Celebrates Spring Festival Photo by Chen Jianzeng
10. In Shaodong, Hunan, a dragon dance team with 108 young performers is performing in the township park to celebrate the Spring Festival.
Dragon Dance Celebrates Spring Festival Photo by Tang Shunfu
11. In the dragon dance event held in Jiangmen, Guangdong, roars of drums and fireworks are following, offering strong atmosphere of the Spring Festival.
Fireworks Welcome Golden Dragon Photo by Zeng Weizhen
12. In ancient town of Langzhong, Sichuan, under the Zhongtian Tower and along rows of old houses, a golden dragon dance performance is held to celebrate the Spring Festival.
Dragon Dance Celebrates Spring Festival in Ancient Town Langzhong Photo by Hua Xiaofeng
13. In the celebration of the Lantern Festival in Jiyuan, Henan, colored dragons in good and dignified spirits bring festival joy to people.
Colored Dragon Dance Celebrates Lantern Festival Photo by Li Peixian
14. In the Pan Village Lantern Festival held in Shuikou Town, Kaiping, Guangdong, with colored flags sufficient to cover the sun,endless sounds of firecrackers, and festival lanterns and artistic umbrellas, dragon and lion dances are being performed from dawn till dusk.
Dragon and Lion Dances Jointly Celebrate Spring Festival Photo by Huang Jianjun
15. In the festival celebration held in Shangrao County, Jiangxi, the villagers are lifting the bench dragon around the streets to welcome the advent of the Lantern Festival.
Bench Dragon Dance Photo by Huang Ying
16. A Spring Festival lantern parade is held in Golden Pebble Beach, Dalian, Liaoning. Giant dragon festival lanterns and dragon dance performances enhance each other. People appreciate festival lanterns and traditional customs, and are immersed in the the bustling and joyous atmosphere of the Spring Festival.
Dragon Festival Lanterns Celebrate Spring Festival Photo by Liu Debin
17. In Qicaimengyuan Park, Tongliang District, Chongqing, dragon dance performances are held to celebrate the Spring Festival. Dragon boats are in pairs and dragon dance teams perform together, bringing exquisite visual feasts to citizens.
Dance of Auspicious Dragons In Pairs Photo by Zeng Yong
18. In the ancient county of Zhaiying, Guizhou, people weave dragon heads and keels with bamboo splits, and lighten the dragon spills to celebrate the Spring Festival.
Rolling Dragon Dance Celebrates Spring Festival Photo by Zhang Lei
19. In Lishui County, Foshan, Guangdong, water dragon dance performances are held to celebrate the Chinese New Year before and after the Spring Festival. Dragon boats in water symbolize that people will be with vigorous spirit and everything will go well in the new year.
Dragon Boat and Festival Lantern Photo by Lin Zhidao
20. In the activity of sedan chair lifting during the Lantern Festival in Yueyang, Hunan, the dragon-shaped colored lantern boats with red lanterns add happy atmosphere to the joyous festival.
Dragon Dance Celebrates Spring Festival Photo by Li Xiangjie
21. The dragon dance in celebrating Chinese New Year brings joy to people in Chinatown, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Happy Chinese New Year in Argentina Photo by Martín Zabala
22. Chingay Parade is a main event to celebrate the Chinese Spring Festival in Singapore, and also one of the largest parades in Asia. The Flying Golden Dragon show, one of the parade’s highlights, draws a large crowd.
Flying Golden Dragon Photo by Wong Chek Poh
23. A group of African students show off their skills at the Spring Festival Dragon Dance Contest in Wuhan, Hubei.
Spring Festival Dragon Dance Photo by Meng Xiaodong
Presented by Network of International Culturalink Entities (NICE)